Advisor Communities & Social Performance
- Be part of a global mining and metals company
- Join a fast-paced, globally focused external affairs and communities team
- Key function in executing our CSP strategies for Africa exploration
- Based in Lusaka, Zambia
About the role
Corporate Relations is a global team providing expertise and advice across all aspects of external affairs, stakeholder engagement, social risk management, communication, brand management and media relations.
We are looking for an Advisor Communities & Social Performance to support the delivery of strategy, policy and standards development across the broad range of activities associated with the Communities & Social Performance area for RTX projects in Africa.
Rio Tinto Exploration (RTX) is a global function dedicated to the discovery of world-class mineral resources to improve the existing resource base and underpin the continued growth of Rio Tinto.
This role is a great opportunity for a CSP practitioner who enjoys the challenges in supporting the business in driving greater CSP performances across our projects in Africa. Working and reporting to the Chief Advisor Communities & Social Performance, G&I, you will be:
- Applying professional knowledge and expertise to advise on, implement and deliver key Communities and Social Performance initiatives, systems and/or programs.
- Contributing to improvements in processes, procedures, and policies within the business unit. Adapts and helps implement RTX CSP structures, systems and strategies at projects in Africa, including stakeholder management plans and systems and project-level risk profiles and plans.
- Developing and maintaining favourable relationships with the surrounding community and internal and external stakeholders.
- Representing the organization at community gatherings and/or role-related forums.
- Coordinating programs or activities to promote goodwill and mutual benefit, by disseminating information to the community and soliciting feedback from stakeholders where required.
- Assisting with assurance activities, including oversight of CSP for non-operated projects.
- Assisting with evaluating CSP aspects of new projects/opportunities, as required.
- Leading creation of a regional CSP strategy for RTX in Africa.
- Facilitating knowledge sharing across RTX Africa in relation to CSP, including developing training materials and providing training.
- Supporting CSP reporting in G&I including progress against targets, social and environmental reporting, incident reporting and PtO investment reporting.
- Assisting with land access planning, including contributing to permitting activities as and when required
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in related discipline
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in CSP, with direct operational and/or field experience being a key advantage
- Demonstrated expertise in communities and social performance, including dealing with diverse and complex cultural and community challenges in Africa region.
- Demonstrated experience in project managing, and working through a networked organization in achieving results.
- Effective influencing skills when engaging with leaders internally and externally
- Ability to multitask, prioritise and organise a number of concurrent projects under tight time pressure
It will also be beneficial if you have:
- Experience working in the mining & metals / extractive sectors, preferably with experience in exploration phase.
- Experience working in Zambia and knowledge of local culture, languages will be highly advantageous.
Where you will be working
Exploration and discovery have been the driving force behind our business for nearly 150 years. Exploration Africa-Europe is building a strong technical team in Zambia to undertake the safe prospecting and technical evaluation of potential copper developments within the region. Initial prospecting activities will include geological mapping, drilling and resource modelling; complemented with community and environmental characterisation work.