Internal audit and financial administration Officer
SNV - Lusaka, Lusaka
SNV is a Not-for-Profit International Development Organisation with long-term, local presence in over 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of advisors works with local partners to equip communities and businesses with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works across three sectors: Agriculture, Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Several international donors fund our programmes. SNV has a +100 million euro annual turnover and is aiming for further growth.
SNV is preparing for the upcoming Scaling up Nutrition (SUN) 2.0 Fund Management Programme supported by DFID. The programme is expected to offer a robust and adaptive approach to support the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ), SUN Technical Assistance and Learning and Evaluation (L&E) providers in realising Zambia’s nutrition targets. The programme covers initially 15 districts and will be extended to 30 districts in the second year. It covers a period of 5 years, with an inception phase of 5 months.
Overview of the Position
To be responsible for finance compliance and risk management working with project staff and non-state actors to assist them in planning, granting, budget and financial management. Oversee financial reporting, budgeting, auditing and compliance to agreed SNV procedures and policies. To build the financial and budget management capacity of non-state actors through training and support. To improve the capacity of project staff to understand and uphold both SNV’s and institutional donors’ (Dfid) financial policies and procedures and proactively manage contracts and risk within respective projects and programmes.
- Observing the target business environment so as to ensure the project remains viable and sustainable.
- Inspecting the specific risk management, financial reporting and productivity strategies that are currently in place.
- Inquiring or asking questions of project personnel related to the effectiveness of the current internal controls.
- Conducting special studies pertaining to project performance and implementation
- Analyzing project policies, processes and procedures so as to refine controls and develop internal auditing procedures.
- Defining audit objectives including random on-the-spot project audit
- Deciding the nature and extent of the audit procedure
- Stating final opinions and conclusions on all internal audits and self-control assessments with in the project.
- Reporting and distributing findings to the management and project key staff
- Minimum degree and/or professional qualification in Accounting, Finance, Business Studies, Auditing or related field.
- 5 years’ work experience preferably in INGO.
- Experience in conducting audits and working with institutional donors.
- Experience of setting up and managing donor compliance monitoring systems, developing and implementing relevant tools.
- Understanding and participating in donor financial compliance audits
- Prior experience managing of similar scope with an excellent grasp of DFID financial policies and requirements.
- Exposure to computerised financial systems, spreadsheets and word processing packages
- Experience of managing grants/contracts from institutional donors
- Ability to supervise partners organisations and oversee compliance project function in regard to project agreement & DFID rules and regulations & provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures to other staff
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.