Employee Relations Specialist
Standard Chartered Bank - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
1. End to End Management of Disciplinary Cases
- Process disciplinary cases by supporting hearing managers arrange and conduct disciplinary hearing, assess & present evidence;
- Complete analysis of data/facts to reach a fair and consistent disciplinary outcome; and
- Update tracking system (ERCMS) and relevant stakeholders with key findings, P3 Impact, Appeals and any relevant information, including any recommendations
2. End to End Management of Employee Grievances
- Device grievance resolution mechanisms – these can take the form of informal methods or formally through grievance hearings;
- Complete analysis of data/facts and reach a fair and consistent resolution/outcome which minimises the risk to the Bank.
- Update tracking system (ERCMS) and relevant stakeholders with key findings including any disciplinary actions recommended.
3. Stakeholder Management.
- Build external networks (e.g. External Counsels, ER Forums, Employer Associations, etc) and Collaborate with Labour Ministries on applicable government policies.
- Collaborate with HR Legal and Compliance and/or external legal counsels, be updated on the legislative development in East Africa
4. Managing employee-related risk
- Identify emerging thematic ER issues and escalate ER risks based on trends or findings.
- Understand current local employment and discrimination law/case developments and be able to anticipate implications for the Bank.
- Create and implement suitable actions to mitigate identified risks
- Work with HR Legal and external counsel to provide data requests for litigation cases and prepare briefs / appearance at Labour Court/Employment Tribunal.
5. Support Education and Training of HR and Line Managers
Our Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 5 O’level Credits or better including Mathematics and English
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree (preferably LLB from a recognized university with a focus in Employment Law);
- ER specialist, with a minimum of 3-5 years of work experience;
- Proven track record and in-depth experience of ER investigations and case management;
- Strong understanding of the local legislative and regulatory landscape;
- Effective networker and organizational influencer;
- Commercially astute;
- Strong collaboration;
- Ability to clearly and accurately analyse, interpret and communicate relevant and complex information;
- Good coaching, networking, influencing & negotiating skills;
- Ability to assess risk & identify pragmatic solutions in context of conflicting demands;
- Ability to develop & gain credibility within the organization in respect of ER expertise; and
- Role model and champion the Bank’s values and behaviours.
- Experience in an international professional services/ banking environment;
- Proven experience in working in a complex matrix, with demanding and fast paced client groups;
- Experience of ER product & policy development;
- Involvement in collective ER issues e.g. collective communication & consultation in Unionized environments, Trade Union/Works Council stakeholder management