Quality Control and Safety Officer
Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Employment type: Contract for 6 months with permanent employment thereafter
Position to be filled by: Q4 2018
Standard Microgrid installs and operates solar microgrids, delivering affordable, reliable energy services to off-grid communities throughout Zambia. As a Quality Control and Safety Officer your role will be to oversee power system and Low Voltage distribution network installations (performed by subcontractors) and ensure that they are completed to an exacting level of quality, and with high safety standards adhered to at all times. Your function will be to document key steps and deliverables along the way to ensure that the work is completed on time, budget and to standard. You will be the primary liaison between Standard Microgrid head office and the project site, relaying information on day-to-day progress, reporting on health and safety and relaying information on areas to improve the overall product.
A strong background in Engineering or Construction is required and experience with renewable energy projects will be beneficial. Willingness and ability to travel to project sites throughout Zambia for 1-2 weeks at a time for the duration of an installation is a requirement.
You will report directly to the Standard Microgrid Zambia Operations Manager who will communicate with you regularly in order to help you set goals and provide feedback on your progress towards achieving them.
- Reviewing project plans and specifications.
- Overseeing power system and LV distribution subcontractors during installations on rural sites in Zambia for several weeks at a time.
- Communicating system design revisions and fabrication requests to our power system provider.
- Monitoring project progress and site safety.
- Driving to installation sites for site visits, installations and periodic maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Liaising with site stakeholders (local authorities, clients etc.) prior to, and during, visits.
- Travel throughout Zambia and Southern Africa for site work and training.
- Liaising with Operations Managers to ensure the correct materials are procured and installations for which you are responsible are completed successfully.
- Generating balance of materials required for installations.
- Completing all installation documentation including wiring diagrams, testing and commissioning sheets, installation reports, trip budgets, and expense reports.
- Properly utilizing internal systems (email, CRM, calendar, project planning tools) to maintain operational organization.
- Completing quarterly self-review and collaborate with management on training progress and goals.
- Knowledge sharing – sharing your experience with and training colleagues.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, project management or construction
- Zambian citizen or possessing valid Zambian work permit; experience working in Zambia is a must.
- Willingness to travel frequently to rural communities throughout Zambia, staying on-site for up to two weeks at a time.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail is essential.
- Intelligent and eager to learn.
- Resourceful, hardworking and honest.
- Enthusiasm for working in the field of renewable energy.
- Highly computer literate.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Candidate should possess a valid Driver’s’ License.
- Preferential Skills and Experience
- Prior experience in solar PV installations, microgrids, project management, LV electricity distribution, QC or health and safety all beneficial
- A passion for delivering energy services and desire to learn the various aspects of the microgrid business
- Fluent in English, Bemba and Nyanja both in written and oral communications.
- Flexible and eager to lend a hand wherever needed, even if a specific task may fall outside the core job description.
Personal Development Opportunities
- A fast-paced environment where constant change is the norm and individual initiative-taking is encouraged.
- Potential for promotion to Zambia Operations Manager.
- Working both in the office and in the field.
- Contributing to rural electrification in Africa.
- Building a clean energy future.
- A passion for organization, details, and precision in all you do.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience