UP Zambia - Location: Zambia, Lusaka
Undikumbukire Project Zambia is a human rights organisation focused on helping juveniles in conflict with the law. The Mission of Undikumbukire Project Zambia (“UP Zambia”) is to support juveniles in conflict with the law through legal representation, social support, and advocacy for a restorative justice system in Zambia.
We now seek to recruit a Project Accountant for our Rise Again Project.
Reports to: Project Manager- Rise Again Project
Purpose of Job
To implement and ensure compliance to Undikumbukire Project Zambia (UP Zambia) Financial policies, systems, procedures and EU Contract Guidelines and general conditions, other related organisational policies, the national laws, international accounting standards and other statutory requirements and best practices.
Project Financial Management
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports as required by the Project Manager and/or Project Management Team (PMT), which adhere to international financial reporting standards and donor requirements.
- To support the Project Manager in the use of the financial analysis for sound project management, including project narratives in relation to expenditure and financial risks.
- Be responsible for monitoring the budget utilisation and communicate any issues to the project management team.
- Follow up and review financial reports from all project stakeholders to ensure compliance with the reporting schedule and EU requirements
- Ensure that project cashflows are managed in a timely and accurate manner
- Manage the day to day finances, including processing invoices and following up on cash requests and payments.
- Risk analysis and recommendations of risk management strategies.
- Manage the external audit and ensure audit requirements are monitored throughout the project.
- Work with the Project Manager and PMT to ensure that audit recommendations are fulfilled.
- Ensure that all financial documents are properly stored and archived for referencing and verification during internal and external audits.
Project start up
- Coordinate the initial implementation of the project budget by Project staff and national project management team.
- Develop reporting templates and other tools and run financial aspects of inception workshop in co-ordination with Project Manager.
- Work with implementing staff to establish systems that are integrated and meet donor requirements.
- Ensure all partners to the project understand the financial requirements and have systems in place to meet them.
Financial support and monitoring
- To provide information and ongoing training to project staff to ensure the financial success of the project.
- To inform the Project Manager of material issues and variances and propose and monitor actions.
- Respond to donor financial queries and recommend actions to the Project Manager as required
- To advise partner of donor specific financial rules and regulations and support staff to meet these.
- To co-ordinate the management accounts, financial reporting and accounting systems for UP Zambia.
- Oversee maintenance of accounting records with support from junior staff.
- Support external audit for UP Zambia as required.
- Supervise, coach and train junior staff to develop financial capacity at the organisation.
- To co-ordinate and supervise procurement in accordance with best practice.
Professional Educational Qualifications
- Professional accounting qualifications such as ACCA strategic professional Level, Degree in Accountancy, CIMA strategic level or Final Level ZICA Chartered Accountant(CA).
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience with an NGO in project finance management positions.
- In-depth understanding and experience of working with donor funded contracts such as EU, DFID, and USAID
- Experience of complex planning and budgeting processes including the ability to provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures.
- Comprehensive understanding of financial reporting, review and analysis.
- Experience of preparing financial statements in accordance with international accounting standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Good working knowledge of computerised accounting packages and MS office (Excel), experience in Quickbooks, an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of taxation requirements
- Ability to prioritise own workload and work with minimal supervision