Building Construction Officer
Vision Africa Regional Network - Lusaka, Lusaka
Vision Africa Regional Network (VAREN) has entered into agreement with Millennium Challenge Account Zambia (MCAZ) to implement a Sanitation Improvement Project in Mtendere Township of Lusaka. The project intends to accelerate access to adequate sanitation to 1300 households by supporting construction of improved low cost toilets and connecting them to the Lusaka Water and Sewerage Company Waste Water Network (sewer lines).
VAREN Invites applications for the position of Building Construction Officer.
Work station: Lusaka
Length of contract: 12 months (with possibility of being extended)
Supervisor: Project Manager
Key job duties, responsibilities and tasks:
- Take lead in recruiting and conducting trainings of local builders/plumbers in the basics of latrine construction under the proposed technological options
- Supervise the local builders/Plumbers in all construction works and establishing collaboration with beneficiary households in the project area; gathering and providing necessary information for regular reporting; for identification of gaps and duplication in services; for improved assistance to beneficiary households and for improved coordination
- Supervise all Construction activities through developing weekly work plans and indicators together for monitoring of targets, and through supporting and guiding them in their daily work;
- Facilitate regular recognition/certification and handover of completed sanitation facilities
- Assist the Project Team with gathering information, sensitisation, training activities and reporting on key milestones achievements.
- Make final technical evaluation of the proposed toilet designs and offer technical assistance to the work done to improve it into healthy and hygienic living conditions, privacy, and security.
- Prepare plan, budget and BOQ for construction of 1 105 flushable toilets.
- Ensure that the work is being implemented effectively and in compliance with donor (MCAZ) requirements, beneficiary accountability, and other professional standards.
- Support outreach staff and liaise with beneficiaries, landlords and Artisans
- Maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with the Project team, with communities, beneficiaries and the donor.
- Conduct regular field visits as needed
- Upholding VAREN’s Core values and ensuring its principles to Comply and exercise organizational values and culture
- Represent VAREN to other NGO’s, agencies and Government authorities and in local coordination meetings where requested
- Attend to other things as assigned by the supervisor
- Architecture or BA in Civil Engineering degree or Construction Technical Diploma or a related field with minimum three years’ of practical experiences in construction particularly in the areas of WASH
Knowledge Skills and Competencies:
- Experience doing technical design assessments, preparing BOQ and budgets
- Experience in water and sanitation construction
- Knowledge in effective application of community participatory methodologies
- Fluent spoken and written English and Nyanja
- Proven experience delivering training and capacity building in WASH construction
- Excellent report writing and data analysis skills
- Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Knowledge on budget /management principles.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks.
- Good oral and written communication
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and minimal supervision.