Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication
WaterAid - Lusaka, Lusaka
It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid Zambia is looking for a Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
The purpose of the Head of Policy, Campaigns and Communication role is to lead the delivery of integrated initiatives around policy analysis and engagement, advocacy and influencing at national and district level, in order to bring about transformational change. The role is also responsible for overseeing implementation and management of WaterAid’s country communications activities and events in order to raise the profile of the organisation and create awareness on the right to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
The role will focus on the following specifically:
- Networking and representation
- Influencing and Campaigns
- Communications and media
- Fundraising, grants and donor management
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
- Minimum of a University Degree, preferably in a discipline directly or closely related to WASH, such as Development Management, Social Policy/Political Science /Public Administration or Public Health
- Minimum of seven (5) years’ management experience and at least three (3) of which should be in a senior management position in reputed international or national non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Experience in an advocacy role is a must
- Experience in communications highly desirable
- Experience of developing key strategic and operational partnerships at different levels (NGOs, donors, government)
- Good understanding of the Zambian government structures and how they function and ability to navigate the system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including report writing) in English to produce professional documents of national and international standards and participate in policy discussions and debates
- Experience of capacity building of partner organizations in advocacy
The role will require frequent travel in-country.