World Vision - Location: Zambia, Northern
To Contribute, improve and sustain well-being of children by assisting the Program Accountant in Supporting the decision-making and financial sustainability of the program through being a business partner, internally (to the Programme/Project Team) and externally (to local partners and collaborations). Assist the Program Accountant in ensuring stewardship, accountability and transparency at all levels through the active resourcing and empowerment of the organization and partners. Strengthening community financial management capacity, participate in financial planning, assist in minimizing risk exposure to the organization and the partner’s operations.
Planning and Budgeting
- Assist Programme Accountant to ensure project planning and budgeting work schedule to meet the requirements/deadlines by the National Office and other relevant stakeholders.
- Support Programme Accountant & programme/ project team to ensure programme/project budgets are clear and aligned with project goals and outcomes, by giving due consideration to World Vision Iinternational Finance Policies and donor regulations.
- Prepare and process bank deposits/withdrawals and petty cash payments
- Prepare vouchers, process invoices for payment.
- Post transactions to general ledger/voucher interface.
- Track staff advance, other balance sheet accounts, reconcile and clear on a monthly basis.
- Review employee expense reports and code appropriately
- File accounting related documents for easy retrieval.
- (if financial partnering involved)Verify the fund transfer to partners and documentation as per agreements; and review and amend (if necessary) financial information provided by partners for consolidation in WV.
- Ensure timeliness, completeness and accuracy in all accounting documents.
- Supervise the ware house record keeping and asset maintenance
- Update fixed asset registration, tagging, reconciliation and reporting
Reporting and Compliance
- Assist programme/project team in preparing budget vs. actual variance explanations report.
- Contribute to the development of financial monitoring system, analyzing and sharing financial reports/ information.
- Identify key donor requirements and communicate to programme/project team.
- Support compliance with key Finance requirements (monthly FFR report, completed LDRs by all ADP staff, monthly reconciliations (fixed assets and balance sheet accounts), etc).
- (If financial partnering involved) Perform monitoring on partners’ financial and accounting operations as per agreements, local government, WV requirements and donor regulations; review and analyze partners’ financial reports; and assist necessary amendments on partners’ financial reports.
Risk Management and Internal Controls
- Support adherence to proper internal control system by programme/project team.
- Promote and practice transparency and integrity for good stewardship of resources.
- Communicate to appropriate people potential risk observed in the program implementation.
- Assist Programme Accountant to take corrective actions/measures on audit recommendations and regularly monitor progress, in partnership with National Office and partner finance departments.
- (If financial partnering involved) Assist partners to identify areas for improvements on internal control systems to carry out the activities as per agreements; and support to develop internal control system/manual as required.
Staff and Partner Capacity Building
- Assist Program Accountant in conducting orientation on finance policies and procedures to newly hired staff
- Assist the Program Accountant in financial training and mentorship with Partners
Qualifications, Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Accounts, ACCA/CIMA level 2 or equivalent a plus
- ZICA membership a must
- Solid Knowledge of accounting principles, financial systems, budget/cash – flow monitoring and internal accounting controls
- At least 1 year experience in finance, accounting/bookkeeping activities, auditing, business administration or related field.
- Computer literate in Ms Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Knowledge of and work experience with government grant regulations and financial reporting requirements preferred
Other competencies and attributes
- Good understanding of local partnering
- Experience and proficiency on financial software and reporting systems
- Basic understanding of NGO financial management and procedures
- Self-guided, strong organizational and planning skills; ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to manage interpersonal relations and work effectively with others, to establish and maintain good working relations in a multicultural, multiethnic environment while showing sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Excel and Word
- Good written, oral communication and facilitation skills
- Able to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Work environment: Office-based 60% : field 40%
- Travel: international as required.