Media and Communication Officer
Zambia Open Community Schools - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Zambia Open Community Schools (ZOCS) exists to enable the OVC in Zambia, especially the Girl Child and Children with Disabilities to access quality education. ZOCS hopes to achieve this through Advocacy, Capacity Building and support to Community Schools through Service Delivery, mainstreaming the cross cutting issues of gender, HIV and AIDS and disability, as well as learning-based monitoring and evaluation of its interventions. ZOCS seeks to recruit a qualified candidate who is motivated and result oriented to fill the following Position:
MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (1) – LUSAKA
REPORTS TO – RESEARCH & ADVOCACY MANAGER
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The successful candidate will be one who will be able to handle all ZOCS Media and Communications functions, which will include increasing public exposure of the Organization’s visibility, updating the Organisation’s website and social media platforms as well as coordinating contacts with media houses and addressing queries from the Press and the Public.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure ZOCS connections to key media institutions are developed and maintained.
- Develop ZOCS public profile through increased exposure to media (Radio, TV, Newspapers, Website, Facebook, Documentaries, etc):
- Write articles for the newspapers.
- Develop and coordinate TV and Radio programmes.
- Regularly update the ZOCS website
- Regularly update the Social Media platforms.
- Handle media and public enquiries and referring high level queries to ZOCS Management.
- Facilitate the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g. brochures, policy briefs, position papers and other relevant advocacy publications).
- Assist in drafting and editing speeches, articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy materials for the website, media, or as appropriate.
- Communicate ZOCS’ Vision by developing and implementing short and long term Media strategies for specific projects and initiatives.
- Liaise with Departmental Heads to develop proactive communication plans to support their objectives, projects and programmes.
- Monitor newspapers and other publications for relevant articles, studies, etc.
- Represent ZOCS at relevant meetings, workshops, etc.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by Supervisor.
- Diploma in Mass Communication, Journalism or any related field. University degree in Mass Communications, Journalism or any related field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum three years of experience in a similar position.
- Good management and coordination skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Good media contacts, an added advantage.
- Willingness to participate in field activities, surveys and travel to remote areas within Zambia.
- Excellent Computer skills.
- Strategic and analytical mind.