Business Development Manager
Build It International - Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia, Lusaka
Build It International is an NGO creating opportunities for young people and their communities through skills training, work experience and essential community building projects. We have pioneered a sustainable, livelihoods based approach to community infrastructure provision and are now expanding our building skills training work.
Our core activity is to train young men and women in construction skills so that they can go on to earn a living. We deliver this is through our programme of community building construction projects and through building skills training at our Centre for Excellence currently under development.
We have now completed 41 building projects and trained 704 men and women in building skills. By 2021 we aim to significantly scale up our work and impact by training 500 trainees a year whilst continuing to construct 3-4 schools and health clinics a year. Our current income is £1m/year and this is almost entirely generated from our UK office. For 2017-2021 our strategy will cost an estimated £10M over 5 years.
We are now seeking an experienced, innovative and creative individual to lead in generating income from Zambia, using an entrepreneurial approach to grow our income portfolio to enhance the sustainability of our Zambia programme.
To play a key role in the development and implementation of an income generating and sustainability strategy from 2019 onwards for the country programme. Working closely with the Country Director, the Business Development Manager will identify and track donor and new business opportunities, facilitate partner engagement, manage donor relationships and develop proposals.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Zambia Funding and Sustainability Strategy
- Play a key role in the design and implementation of BII Zambia’s Funding Strategy intended to strengthen income and partnerships to deliver Build It International’s overall strategy.
- The strategy will include both income generation through traditional funding models, as well as business opportunities.
- Map the market for partners and donors and monitor the funding pipeline.
New Business Development and Donor Engagement:
- Identify and scope partnership opportunities in a systematic way with other NGOs, the commercial sector and contractors.
- Develop partnerships with the construction and commercial sectors, and devise social enterprise models of income generation especially with regards to BII’s training at the Centre for Excellence.
- Working closely with the Country Director, manage and build relationships with donor representatives.
- Engage with institutional donors in order to identify potential areas for partnership, in particular programme funding.
- Working with the BII fundraising team in the UK, to lead in the development and submission of proposals that are well written, offer value for money and in line with BII’s strategy.
- Develop concept notes, proposals, MOUs, and contracts for partnerships with the commercial sector
- Develop business plans for potential social enterprise based income generation models in line with BII’s strategic objectives
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in business development or related area
- Degree in Business Development, Economics, Marketing or related field
- Experience of successfully raising funds for an organisation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good networking skill
- Proven relationship development and relationship management experience
- Good IT skills in MS Office
- Tenacity and drive to seek new areas of income generation and exceed targets
- Experience of working to and exceeding targets
- An affinity to Build Its mission and values
Line Management: Country Director, Build It International Zambia
Other Key Relationships
- BII UK Fundraisers
- Head of Finance
- Commercial Relationship Manager
- Training & Livelihoods Manager