Principal Mine Geologist – Enterprise
First Quantum Minerals - Solwezi, North-Western
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
- Assist the Chief Geologist with the planning and prioritization of geological activities across the Enterprise mine license, including the development/optimization of team, systems and processes from mine development to production phase.
- Assume responsibility and oversight of all ore control functions, including drilling.
- Oversee all geological mapping logging, sampling, and 3D interpretation.
- Assist in the reconciliation between modelled and mined production.
- Develop and maintain safe and effective work practices and procedures throughout.
- Provide on-site supervision, coordination, development and training to geology section staff and contractors.
- Preparation of reports to assist with Enterprise mine and resource requirements including technical reports to NI43-101 compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree plus Honours in geology, mining geology or a closely related subject.
- 8 year’s relevant experience with significant time spent in a production environment. Open-pit base metal mining experience highly advantageous.
- Excellent technical skills, with an emphasis on geochemistry and structural geology.
- Familiarity with Central African Copperbelt geology and metallogeny advantageous.
- Strong IT-skills; experience with 3D mining software required. Datamine and/or OreController proficiency advantageous.
- Demonstrable strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Cleaning driving license and clean criminal record essential.
- Excellent leadership and project management skills.
- Thorough methodical approach to routine tasks and problem solving.
- Willingness to work with and disseminate experience to colleagues from a variety of skill and national backgrounds.
- Strong team ethic and communication abilities.