Supervisor – Tailings Storage Facilities
First Quantum Minerals - Solwezi, North-Western
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. is an established and growing mining and metals company currently operating four mines and developing projects worldwide. Our aim is to become a globally diversified mining and metals company.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
We currently produce copper cathode, copper in concentrate, nickel, gold and sulphuric acid.
First Quantum’s current operations are the Kansanshi copper-gold mine in Zambia, the Guelb Moghrein copper-gold mine in Mauritania, the Kevitsa nickel-copper-PGE mine in Finland and the Ravensthorpe nickel-cobalt mine in Australia.
When our current projects are in operation, we expect we will be able to triple our annual copper production capacity and be positioned within the world’s 10 largest copper producers.
Sentinel is the first mine to be developed at the Trident project in the North Western Province of Zambia. The project comprises five large-scale mining licences and significant geological potential exists for expansion of operations, including the Enterprise nickel mine announced in December 2012. First Quantum is investing US$1.725-billion at the Sentinel mine and construction remains on time and on budget. Plant commissioning will commence in mid-2014 and copper production is expected reach 280 – 300,000 tonnes per annum.
- Understand and execute accountabilities of legal appointment under Zambian Mining regulations
- The role has direct engineering and operational accountability for the site water balance including the tailings storage facility and all water storage dams supporting facilities
- Comply with site HSE standards and procedures
- Investigate all appropriate equipment related safety and environmental incidents and implement action
- Identity and priorities plant housekeeping efforts and ensure tasks are actioned
- Constantly deliver and exceed the main KPI’s of positive site water balance, water infrastructure availability and utilization and compliance and operating procedures, strategies and instructions.
- Oversee day –to day operations of the TSF and Chisola operations water areas to achieve optimized plant utilization and compliance to operating procedures, strategies and instructions
- Issue daily operating instructions to shift teams on key equipment and operational parameters, tasks and considerations
- Attend meetings as requested, work in cooperation with the TSF coordinator and shift supervisors in ensuring performance against operating systems compliance and delivery of instructions
- Support the shift team and shift supervisor, but maintain focus on the daily to weekly optimization horizon
- Implement operation check –and log –sheets for team to monitor equipment status and take prompt and appropriate corrective action.
- Personally conduct routine daily checks of equipment
- Execute improvement activities
- Build relations with maintenance, planning, reliability engineering, metallurgical engineering, projects and dayshift operations personnel
- Diagnose defects, focusing on identifying root cause and implement both corrective and preventative measures
- Coach, mentor and assist in the training of all direct personnel to build and maintain high standards
- Control and reduce operational and engineering costs
- Uphold the FQM way culture of “Smarter, Bolder, Driven
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the superintendent
Qualifications and Experience:
- Diploma/Degree in Civil or mechanical Engineering or related field is preferred, extensive background in TSF construction, engineering or operations will be added advantage
- Member of EIZ and holder of legal appointment as defined by the mining regulations of Zambia
- A minimum of 3 years ‘s experience at supervisor level
- Experience in earth –work and or civil construction
- Exposure to large, complex base metals processing plants highly regarded