Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego invites applications under The Health Workforce for the 21st Century (HW21) project.
HW 21 implements country level activities to accelerate progress towards addressing key human resources for health (HRH) systems barriers to sustainably achieving President’s Emergency Fund for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) 95-95-95 goals. HW21 provides support through technical and implementation assistance and generation of information through implementation research and analysis, including active sharing of results in order to inform program implementation. HW21 examines novel interventions and technologies such as HRH modeling more efficient HRIS development and efficient remote mentorship. In Zambia, HW21 will provide support to the Ministry of Health (MOH), Health Professions Council of Zambia and the General Nursing Council of Zambia (GNCZ) to improve HRH management and increasing capacity of health care workers (HCW) to deliver quality services.
Position Overview The Web Developer will oversee the management and use of web based applications of HRISs used by the Health Regulatory body (GNCZ) as supported by HW21. He/She will be responsive to continued development and needs arising as the HRISs are implemented and expanded. He/she may be called upon to help support utility of other web based HRIS development within the health sector. The position will work closely with HW21 and the councils’ leadership to design and update web applications in response to needs of the councils’ business processes.
- Manage ongoing operations and backups of councils’ websites and web applications.
- Develop and support a suite of web applications for the two councils’ databases
- Link web application to relevant professional systems.
- Train users on updates in system as necessary
- Develop and implement plan to transfer knowledge and skills for web management to council staff.
- Maintenance and improvement of existing web applications and web sites including identifying and addressing issues reported
- Addition of new features / modules to the web applications
- Update database to support web applications and web sites
- Integrating existing web applications to other on/off premise systems.
- Work closely with other HW21 and HRIS team members
- Develop and maintain quality system documentation
- Document test plans and test procedures
- Work with team members to develop and update user manuals
- Define web development activities
- Risk management: software development and in the context of web applications
- Manage change control processes for system websites.
- Degree in Information Systems (or equivalent) preferably minimum BSc in Computer Science from a recognized University with at least 2 years’ experience developing and maintaining web applications and web sites OR Advanced Diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science plus 6-8 years’ experience in developing and maintaining web applications and web sites.
- Recent direct experience support in web development to HRIS of the General Nursing Council of Zambia and/or the Health Professions Council of Zambia is an added advantage.
- Prior training on web development as it pertains to the development for the HRISs for the aforementioned councils
- Must have knowledge and experience in designing and building web applications and use of technologies such as Apache, MySQL and PHP.
- Some experience with module/theme development with a CMS like Joomla, Drupal or WordPress
- Proficiency in at least one structured programming language such as Java, C#
- Must have clear understanding of database management systems such as SQL Server and MySQL
- Good analytical and report writing skills
- Must be proactive and innovative keeping abreast with technological advancements
- Must be a team player, flexible and professional who is customer focused
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be a team leader/member with diverse team of partners and counterparts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Excellent computer skills and experience working with Microsoft Office applications
- English fluency (verbal and written) required